Thursday, April 1, 2010

The other day an old friend from high school found me on FB. Now we have not spoken since our days at West High over 19 years ago. the lack of communication is not because of anything bad, we just lost touch since then. We went though the pleasantries of hi, how are you, are you married, have kids and so on. But then she wrote the following:
"I have to tell you Marla, I've thought about you often over the years. I've wondered if you were still in remission. Anytime I have a patient tell me that they were diagnosed with cancer I encourage them with your battle and how I remember you were so strong and positive. If I remember correctly, it had spread to your lymph nodes. I am so pleased to see that you are well!!!!! "
I have yet to talk about having cancer ....on my blog that is, I'm an open book and no question is taboo for me. I was 16, a Junior in high school, when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease and it changed my live. At that time I had no idea about the ripple affect, but let me tell you......I'm still rippling! To find out now 19 years later that I had such an impact on someones life is amazing. That over the years she has wondered how I was....maybe even if I was still alive!
People we are all ever changing and we really never know how we have changed peoples lived. It doesn't even have to be something so big as cancer and that battle that comes with it. It could be something small like a Good morning to a stranger or a thank you to a check out clerk. The Beatles have a song, "The End" and in it they say: "And in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take". Are you doing that....are the impacts that you are leaving on people ones that are positive or not? In the end are you going to be satisfied with the quality and quantity of the the love you gave and made?
I know that I am and will be.......

No comments:

Post a Comment